Saturday, January 21, 2006

Dreams, Signs and Ironies

The first time I woke up this morning I was dreaming the final Harry Potter novel. Of course, I'm never right, unfortunately I don't have some sort of cosmic connection to J.K. Rowling, if I did, I quit seminary and start writing some spin off. In my dream I was some sort of friend to Hermione I think, and she was being her brilliant self and getting struck by lightening for it. I was trying to protect her. Go figure. I went back to sleep and probably dreamed again, but now I don't remember. Some combination of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings I think. I think your dreams are one of those things the first sip of coffee dissolves.
I debated about staying in bed all day. It would have been a nice change of pace from the ridiculously busy schedule of last week, but then I realized that if I did that a) I couldn't have coffee and b) the movies I borrowed from the library would be overdue. So I'm still in pj's but I did get out of bed and make coffee. The movies will make thier way back later today I think, but due to my lack of car (stupid thing was telling me "Check Oil Level" and "Low Engine Coolant") I'll be either walking or biking them back over.
I've really been writing this blog all week in my head, it's just now that it's putting itself on the computer. I decided my life has some ironies in it. For example, my reward for finishing my feminist theology reading is to watch a chick flick. And my mother now has a blog and has posted more than me. (also her posts are more concise, interesting and logical)
In another tangent, last week I had to choose a topic for the dreaded Christian Ethics paper (you know the one that could be on abortion or some other such high school speech topic). There was one ambigious topic called "Remembering Jesus in Gilead" that someone said was about "women's issues" (a phrase I despise because it suggests that men's issues i.e. violence etc. are everyone's issues, but women's issues have to have thier own category) I was debating getting out of my comfort zone and doing economics or something but eventually decided on the "women's issues" topic. When I went to look at the chapters titled "Remembering Jesus in Gilead" I discovered immediately that it was on none other than "The Handmaid's Tale"! So I decided it was a sign from God that this was the topic I was to do. And in the process maybe I can make a few Atwood converts. Yay novels!
Last week was "Pastors Week" so I had to do the whole candidate thing, and make sure the people who might help hire me know who I am etc. It was okay. But exhausting. One of the best parts was a dinner my feminist theology class scheduled with Malinda Berry, a womanist/feminist Mennonite theologian who's studying under James Cone (the God is Black guy) at Union in New York. It reminded me of Bluffton. She thinks the same way Sue and Gerald do. So I didn't have to spend half my time thinking "Okay, I don't agree with you." And trying to figure out why not. She also did a workshop titled "Jesus at the movies" that made me nostalgic. Sigh.
One final note, to those interested, I now have a "real" cell phone and so I have unlimited nights and weekends. Email and I'll give you the number. (Okay, this is mostly for Kari, but who knows maybe I have a phantom reader who wants to get in touch with me)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home