Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Might as well be stripping wallpaper

The line from my mom's last reply caught my attention. I spent all morning trying to write a paper/speech for Christian Ethics on atonement and domestic violence. It's a tricky business given the typical feminist response is a bit off the wall (throw out the whole crucifixion and find some other way for God to save us). However, I also have a deep desire to prove to my class that feminists are not all crazy/illogical/unorthodox/choose your own perjorative term. So I have to find a feminist who takes seriously issues of domestic violence and the idea that for God to save us, Jesus had to suffer. So I sat in front of the computer for approximately three hours this morning, in the windowless, stuffy computer lab, trying to figure out how to make feminism good, yet adequately critique the theories. I feel like I might as well have been stripping wallpaper. (This takes on special significance when one considers that my apartment has no wallpaper) Only five weeks and three days left!

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger amylea said...

I think this would make sense if I knew anything about wallpaper.
Do we really want to say that Jesus had to suffer? That makes me uncomfortable, not only from the "good" violence point of view, but also as a sufferer. Of course, all of this doesn't matter if we take Sandor Goodhart's "Midrashic Jesus" idea seriously, because that undoes all those Platonic oppositions.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Kari said...

I miss you, Lou.

That is all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home