Friday, February 09, 2007

Old Habits Die Hard

Yesterday I met some undergrad students in the cafeteria for a lunch meeting. Only one showed up, which reminded me of the joy/trial of working with undergrads, you have to remind them more than once. And at least the once the week of.
I also discovered that I am a creature of habit. I went through the line, picked out some edible food items (some that turned out to be more edible than others). Then I saw the bowl of fruit. First, unlike Bluffton, the fruit bowl is accessible to all and not at the mercy of the cafeteria workers (No Fruit for You!). Second, I had almost no choice but to take an apple, not to eat for lunch, but to take with me. I knew I wasn't going to eat the apple for lunch, I knew I was going to take it with me for later, a snack maybe, or breakfast the next day.
So now I am sitting in my office, eating an apple "stolen" from the cafeteria yesterday. And I realize, I'm not as far from Bluffton as I thought.

2 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger amylea said...

I'd forgotten about the Bowl of Fruit. And the Yogurt in the Fridge. The beaver in me still hoardes her food. I wonder when that will end? When I get a real job?

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Kari said...

No, it will not end when you get a real job. At least, that is, if you consider mine a real job, even though I now realize it's not something I want to do for more than a few years. At any rate, I still take home leftovers whenever they're offered to me, and I definitely hoarded goodies from the spread at a training session I recently attended.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home