Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Diseases I didn't think were possible

Well, my body has surprised me again. It has come up with yet another way to be mildly uncomfortable. I have been having what I called "odd" sore throat the last several days. It didn't hurt all the time, and the intensity varied and it was primarily on the left side of my throat and my left tonsil felt swollen. So yesterday I decided to go the doctor on the chance that I had some bizarre form of tonsilitis or something stupid like mono.
The first chore for me in going to the doctor is to decide which one to go to. Unlike some of my less healthy friends, (sorry K and A) establishing a relationship with a doctor is not something I spend much time doing. My first line of defense, the campus center nurse, is out for the summer. So now the real decision making comes in- do I go to the one doctor in town I've managed to get in at, but don't really like, or do I try somewhere new and face the reality that I may not get in for a few weeks? Finally I landed on option three- go to the doctor that doesn't take insurance, but only charges $50 a visit. I decided I like Dr Blay and I may continue to go to him (and the campus nurse of course) He told me he feels the health care system is "broken" and I tend to agree. He works with a single nurse out of an office that used to be a house, and he has a map on the wall with pins in it telling where all his patients have been from. Also, this week anyway, he's puppy sitting his daughters long-haired chihuahua, Ava, who licked my toes when I came in.
And what was the medical problem? You'll never guess, I had a canker sore on my tonsil, something I didn't think was possible.

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Joanne Lehman said...

I have to admit you had me running to your blog at the mention of a doctor visit for an undisclosed medical problem... Can't wait to see that house...mom

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Kari said...

Hooray for medical oddities...between the three of us, we could probably write some kind of medical textbook.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger amylea said...

Insert comment about constructions of normalcy here. :) You aren't "odd"--and quit being all Platonic with dividing you from your body! (See my blogs on disability...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home